TRADES & SERVICES
CLUBS & GROUPS
Founded in 1949, we exist to promote the welfare of the inhabitants of Glen Urquhart, developing and supporting initiatives to enhance their lives.
• We complement the activities of the Community Council and the Chamber of Commerce, working with them to benefit the broad community.
• We give financial and moral support to local organisations and groups, when requested.
• We are responsible for organising the Annual Bonfire Night and the Children’s Christmas Parties and sponsor the “Glen Urquhart Bulletin”.
• Our meetings, held every 2 months in Glen Urquhart Public Hall, are open to all residents of the Glen.
GURCA SCIO Board of Trustees
As from August 31st 2012, Glen Urquhart Rural Community Association became a SCIO (Scottish Charity Incorporated Organisation). This change in its charitable status was to facilitate actions such as the transfer of the Playing Field from the Council back to the Community and to safeguard the Trustees, hitherto the principal Office-Bearers. The Management Committee is now a Board of Trustees who have no financial liability; under our Constitution there can be up to 24 Trustees. Association meetings are still open to all local residents, who are welcome to air their views; the Trustees, however, have voting rights on any issues.
At the recent A.G.M. of the Association, the following, having applied to become Trustees and having signed a simple Code of Conduct, were approved as Trustees:
President: Mhairi Marshall
Chair: Anne Macdonald
Secretary: Jan Bell
Treasurer: Nicola Vestey
Lewiston: Janet Emery
Blarmor North: Anne Macdonald
Blarmor South: Elizabeth Owen
Kilmore: Angela Montague
Drum/Druimlon: Alan Bell
Milton: Colin Francis
Achmony/Drumbuie: Marjory Tait
Balnain: Christine Hart
Corrimony: Mamie Girvan
David M. Fraser
The next meeting of the Association is on Monday 10th June in Blairbeg Hall Annexe at 8 pm.
Click this link for the Minutes from the meeting of 11th March 2013
Click this link for the Minutes from the meeting of 21st January 2013
Click this link for the Minutes from the meeting of 12th November 2012
Click this link for the Minutes from the meeting of 10th September 2012
Click this link for the Minutes from the meeting of 14th May 2012
Click this link for the Minutes from the meeting of 12th March 2012
MINUTES OF E.G.M.
MONDAY 9TH JANUARY 2012 BLAIRBEG HALL 8 PM
Welcome: Ms Macdonald welcomed 17 members. There were 3 apologies (sheet attached)
Minutes: of meeting of November 14th were read and approved, on the proposal of Mrs Marshall, seconded by Mrs Urquhart.
Greenspace had offered to be an umbrella organisation if we opted for the former, but while acknowledging this gesture, it was felt that the Community Association did better represent the wider community and would be the appropriate organisation to own the field, with a sub-committee of Field users operating the management and maintenance of the facility (currently it cost the Shinty Club about £3000 to maintain plus £330 for the rent of the Pavilion Solum). To help cover the anticipated legal costs, Ms Macdonald had applied to the Ward Discretionary Budget for £750. The meeting was unanimously in favour of accepting ownership of the Field, provided Council conditions were acceptable. Ms Macdonald also proposed that the Association explore the possibility of becoming a SCIO and this was also unanimously accepted. She undertook to go back to the Council and to Senscot Legal for more detailed advice, notably with regard to the Village Green. Meanwhile a Draft Management Committee was formed consisting of 2 representatives from the Shinty Club, 1 from the Highland Games Committee and 2 from the Community Association (Ms Macdonald and Mrs Marshall agreed) and a meeting of this committee to be arranged, probably in February. (Action: Ms Macdonald)
Treasurer: Mrs Hart gave the following details:
John Cobb Ac: £90.52
CAF Gold Ac: £3879.38
Treasurer’s Ac: Running balance: £7603.88, of which Playpark reserved money is £5844.81, having paid £1000 to Iain Chalmers of Chainsaw Creations. Also reserved was £192.68 from L&G investment for Cobb Memorial maintenance. This left the Association funds in this Account at £1566.39. The Bulletin had so far made a profit of £285.00 and the Fireworks a deficit of £47.78.
Date of Next Meeting: Monday March 12th at 8 pm
The meeting closed at 9.10 pm with special thanks to Ms Macdonald.
Monday 12th March at 8 pm in Blairbeg Hall Annexe.
Main item for discussion is the proposed transfer of Blairbeg Playing Field to Community Association, with the implications for the Association's legal status and the lease of the Pavilion to the Shinty Club.
Discussion also about a Fund-raising event for the Association.
All residents of the Glen are welcome to attend, although voting on any resolutions is limited to members of the Management Committee.
MINUTES OF MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING
MONDAY NOVEBER 14TH 2011 BLAIRBEG HALL 8PM
Welcome: Ms Macdonald welcomed 15 members (attached). There were 3 apologies.
Minutes: of meeting on 12th September were read and approved, on the proposal of Mrs Marshall, seconded by Mr Bell.
Treasurer’s Report: Mrs Hart reported as follows:
Treasurer’s Ac: £7821.98 which included £6344.81 for Playpark group. There were Hall bills and Fireworks to pay. No further payments from Bulletin sales as yet.
John Cobb: £90.52
OSCR had accepted the Statement of Accounts for 2010 -11 and Mr Ernie Smart was willing to continue as Independent Examiner. Mrs Hart thanked Mrs Vestey for her help.
Correspondence: Archie Drennan had written a nice article about his trip to Hausgauen – this had been forwarded to the Bulletin Editor.
Date of Next Meeting: Monday 9th January 2012 – E.G.M.
The meeting closed at 9 pm.
MINUTES OF MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING
MONDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER 2011 BLAIRBEG HALL 8 PM
Welcome: Ms Macdonald welcomed 12 members. There were 6 apologies (list attached)
Minutes: of meeting on 13th June were read and approved, on the proposal of Mrs Urquhart, seconded by Mr Miller.
Playpark: Mrs Mackenzie reported that the plans had now been submitted to the Council for approval. Because of recent changes to the regulations, the Keep Fit area was no longer possible, and it was hoped that Leader would still approve the funding and permit additional equipment instead. Providing they had the go-ahead, it should take about 2 months to have the improvements in place, after 2 years. The form to set up the Bank Account had been completed, but should have a specific Project name, the account to be administered by Mrs Mackenzie and Mrs Montague, but included in the Association Treasurer’s Annual Statement. Mrs Joan Nelson to be thanked for the donation from the Milton Playpark Account. The group was very grateful for Jamie Macpherson’s help. Ms Macdonald and Mrs Montague to discuss administrative details. (Action: Mrs Bell, Ms Macdonald, Mrs Montague)
Playing Field: There had been a good turnout of field users and interested parties at the meeting in June when Douglas Wilby from the Council had outlined the options in the light of the changing organisation of Leisure within the Council. The preferred option was for the Playing Field to revert to Community ownership, probably under the Community Association, but managed by a Committee of users. This had implications for the legal status of the Association, in that we were an unincorporated Charity. From studying relevant documents, Ms Macdonald suggested that we explore the possibility of becoming a SCIO, an incorporated Charity, still under the Charity regulator. This might necessitate a change in our title. In any case, she felt that we should have legal advice – Councillor Davidson had offered to fund legal costs from the Ward Discretionary Budget. Some local solicitors were mentioned, and Ms Macdonald undertook to contact them. She felt there was no great urgency, as the matter of the missing Title Deeds was still being explored by the Shinty Club. Mrs Bell to contact David Johnstone about the document in his possession. The meeting agreed in principle to the change, with a meeting of users to be called in November. Ms Macdonald to send a holding e-mail to Douglas Wilby, informing him of this. Mrs Bell to submit a short statement to the local Website outlining the main points. (Action : Ms Macdonald/ Mrs Bell)
Soirbheas: Ms Macdonald reported that the Co-op Bank would lend 80-90% and applications had been submitted for Grants to cover the shortfall. The Membership drive had been successful, with the target of 200 exceeded, ie 10% of the electorate. Although no longer Chair of the Company, she remained a Director.
Road Safety: A number of issues had been raised at the June meeting arranged by Councillor Davidson, such as introduction of 20 flashing mph limit at times for schoolchildren and the hazardous situation at the Bridge. Ms Lucas stated that Bob Mitchell from the Council had walked around and promised to devise the best solution for the Bridge and deliver costings, hopefully by November. Surface water on the A 82 and junctions were also being looked at. Foliage at the War Memorial corner was mentioned as obscuring the view for motorists turning up the Glen road.
Notice Boards: Ms Lucas said the response had been disappointing, but she undertook to obtain a quotation from one individual (Action: Ms Lucas)
Bonfire: This was arranged for Saturday 5th November, the fire to be lit at 6.30pm and fireworks set off at 7 pm. Mrs Marshall to provide posters and the event to be advertised on the Website. Mrs Bell to ask John Cameron’s permission for the use of the field and to ask Mr Wynne to set off the fireworks. It was agreed to spend £500 on fireworks – Ms Macdonald to order and collect them from HIS. Mrs Bell, and Mr Francis volunteered to collect money from the public on the night. Last year’s team were willing to build the fire, but the public should contact Ms Macdonald if they had any contributions – pallets preferred. To prevent any unauthorised dumping of material, Mr Bell to ask Mr and Mrs Boag to keep a look out. Mrs Urquhart to ask local Fire Brigade to attend on the night. Mrs Mackenzie to ask GOSC to provide a guy again. Local groups such as the Nursery and Toddlers group were welcome to run stalls, but should liaise to avoid duplication. (Action: Ms Mcdonald/ Mrs Marshall/ Mrs Bell/ Mr Bell/ Mrs Urquhart/ Mrs Mackenzie)
Christmas Parties: The two halls had been booked and Mrs Montague and Mrs Mackenzie now in overall charge. Mrs Marshall had arranged fund-raising discos for Friday 28th October. Further discussion at next meeting.
Hogmanay: Parents to be sounded out informally if they would support a Family Event. To be discussed at next meeting.
Bulletin: Mr Fraser Mackenzie and Mrs Una Urquhart to be thanked for another interesting publication, including an anonymous donation via Mrs Urquhart of £150. Mr Mackenzie submitted money collected so far and this should easily cover the printers’ bill of £630. (Action: Mrs Bell)
· Mrs Hart first gave the monthly figures: Treasurer’s AC: £7719.98, including £6344.81 of Playpark money; with the payment to Speedprint for the Bulletins, this meant we had £745.17. Project Ac: £90.50. CAF Gold Ac : £3877.43
· Mrs Hart then presented the Annual Statement of Accounts (attached) which had been examined and verified by Mr Ernie Smart. The meeting unanimously approved the Statement which could now be submitted to OSCR . Mrs Hart to ask Mr Smart if he was willing to continue as Examiner. If not, she would undertake to find a replacement. Mr Smart to be thanked for his services. (Action: Mrs Hart/ Mrs Bell)
Gazebo: Mr Bell had asked for and been granted the use of the gazebo for the Hall Stall on Games Day. The Hall had raised nearly £1000 and he thanked the Association.
Acknowledgements: Mrs Emery thanked the Association for the donation of £250 towards the heating improvements in the Hall. Archie Drennan thanked the Association for donating £60 towards his trip to Hausgauen.
Date of Next Meeting: Monday14th November at 8 pm.
GLEN URQUHART RURAL COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION MEETING
Agenda items include Report on Bonfire Night and Christmas Party Plans.
There are also two major items which have been under discussion for some time:
Playpark Improvements: Plans have been submitted to Highland Council for approval. Due to recent changes in regulations, the Keep Fit area is no longer possible, but the organising group are hopeful that there will be action at last.
Playing Field: Because of changes to the way Leisure and Recreation Services are to be delivered by Council, negotiations are ongoing as to the possible return of the Playing Field to community ownership. This could be under the Community Association with the management run by a committee of Field users. Various legal issues have to be resolved, but the public will be kept informed and consulted on any changes.
MINUTES OF MANAGEMNET COMMITTEE MEETING
MONDAY JUNE 13 2011 BLAIRBEG HALL 8PM
Welcome: Ms Macdonald, in the Chair, welcomed 12 members. There were 5 apologies.
Minutes: of meeting on 9th May were read and approved, on the proposal of Mr Bell, seconded by Mrs Marshall.
Playpark: Ms Macdonald reported that Jamie Macpherson had prepared a plan and had spoken to Highland Council, although communication overall had been poor. The Group now had the names of the officially approved contractors. Mrs Joan Nelson was also contacting the mothers who had been involved with the Milton Playpark to arrange for transfer of £637.16 from their account.
Councillor Davidson intimated a meeting on Wednesday 22nd June at 8 pm at the High School to discuss the Playpark and the wider issues of the Car Park at Scotmid and the ownership and maintenance of the Playing Field, in the light of the proposed changes in Council organisation of Leisure Activities. A good representation from interested bodies was necessary at this stage – whole community consultation would follow. On the subject of extending the car park at the shop, Mr Bell reminded the Association that a previous request from the shop owner had been refused.
Website: Mr Harmsworth had offered a free link page on Drumnadrochit.info similar to that of the Community Council. This could display a list of Office-bearers and elected members, as well as a copy of approved Minutes and any forthcoming events. (Action: Mrs Bell to arrange with Mr Harmsworth)
Soirbheas: Ms Macdonald intimated the AGM of the Group to be held on Thursday 23rd June in Balnain Hall at 8 pm. This would be preceded at 7pm by a Drop-in session. To attract grant funding, it was important to show Community interest in the form of membership and ideas which demonstrated the real need for funding.
The Green: the seat repair squad had been thanked by letter. Ms Veitch had been informed of the Association’s donation and a cheque for £100 to be sent to her. She was grateful for the official acknowledgemnt of Desmond Macmillan’s efforts. (Action: Treasurer)
Community Council Matters: Councillor Davidson reported that she had arranged a Drop-in Session for Tuesday 21st June between 5 and 7 pm to give the public the opportunity to air concerns on Road Safety in Drumnadrochit and Lewiston– flyers were being distributed to households. It was hoped to have a policeman in attendance and also a representative from Tec Services. There were concerns about late night driving and crossing the road at the junction of the A82 and the Glen road. A number of dead deer were also lying at the roadside – this was the responsibility of the Council. On the subject of the A82 Ms Lucas intimated that Bob Mitchell, Route Manager for Transport Scotland would attend the Community Council meeting on 25th July.
Rural Ward forum: Ms Macdonald had attended the recent meeting which outlined the forthcoming integration of NHS and Social Work for Community Care services. All adult social care would be delivered by NHS which should make for an improved service. Children’s services would be a Council responsibility.
Urquhart Castle Liaison Group: Ms Macdonald had also attended this meeting and met the new catering Suppliers who were continuing to use Cobbs’ cakes and were keen to support the local community. Visitor numbers at the Castle were up. Mrs Bell reported that a Fund Raising event in aid of the local First Responders is to be held at the Castle in early December.
Treasurer’s Report: Mrs Hart reported the following figures:
Caf Gold AC: £3875.48; Project AC: £90.50; Treasurer’s Ac: £7432.66 (also includes £5655.66 for the Playpark Group) leaving a working balance of £1777.00.
She had received acknowledgements from the G/U Centre and the High School for the Christmas donations and had also paid Ms Veitch £150 for the maintenance of the Cobb Memorial.
Following her meetings with Mrs Vestey and Mr Smart, the Independent Examiner, she hoped to present the Annual Statement of Accounts for approval at the September meeting. Ms Macdonald thanked Mrs Hart for her hard wotk.
Archie’s Hausgauen trip. An e-mail from Mrs Drennan requested financial assistance with travel /clothing expenses for her son’s trip to Hausgauen as representative piper from Glenurquhart. Mr Bell proposed that the Association match the Community Council’s award of £60, stipulating it was for travel expenses. The meeting agreed. (Action: Letter from Secretary and payment from Treasurer)
Hall Heating: Mr Bell, Chairman of the Public Hall Committee, wrote requesting a contribution towards the overhaul of the Hall Heating system. The Hall Committee had received an initial estimate of £2500 for the work and would be running a stall at the Highland Games. Councillor Davidson advised applying to the Ward Discretionary Budget for assistance. Mrs Hart proposed the Association donate £250 and this was agreed. (Action: Treasurer)
Noticeboards: Ms Lucas drew attention to work required on the various Community Noticeboards, the one at Balnain being rickety and those at Shenval and Corrimony particularly shabby. It was agreed that the Community Council should investigate further and report back. Mrs Hart mentioned that notices should be removed after any events. (Action: Community Council)
Bulletin: The Editor, Mr Fraser Mackenzie, reported he was struggling to get enough articles this year. It was suggested he make an appeal via the Website. Mrs Hart suggested the winning essay for the Association Prize at the High School and also an article on his trip to China by Grant Stone. Mrs Davidson volunteered an article on Community Ownership. The deadline is 2nd week of July. (Action: Mrs Hart to ask at High School for essay)
Hogmanay: Ms Macdonald was keen that some event be organised, possibly a family Ceilidh in the early evening with games and refreshments. Before the next meeting she would meet with Mrs Marshall and Mrs Tait to discuss ideas. Meantime Mrs Marshall was running a Fancy Dress disco on Friday 28th October in aid of the Christmas Parties. In response to Mr MacInnes, the Association would run some fund-raising event next year. (Action: Ms Macdonald and Hogmanay Group)
The meeting closed at 9.10 pm with thanks to Ms Macdonald.
MINUTES OF MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING
MONDAY MAY 9TH 2011 BLAIRBEG HALL 7.30 PM
Welcome: Ms Macdonald, in the Chair, welcomed 16 members. There were 5 apologies.
Minutes: of meeting on March 14th were read and approved, on the proposal of Mrs Emery, seconded by Mrs Marshall.
Playpark: Mrs Montague reported on the continuing delay in progress – it seemed harder to spend the money than to raise it! It was important to avoid the park being a building site, especially on Games Day. It would help if the Group could access the 3 Contractors named under the Council Contract Framework. There had also been a verbal statement that they would avoid having to pay VAT. Councillor Davidson to apply pressure on Council officials – she was thanked for the payment of £5000 through the Ward Discretionary Budget; applications for additional funding were being made by the Group to Scotmid and Tesco. Ms Macdonald to contact Mrs Joan Nelson over the £600 left in the Milton Playpark Account. (Action: Councillor Davidson, Ms Macdonald/ Playpark Group).
Website: Check with Tony Harmsworth if there was a link page for the Association on Drumnadrochit.info site. (Action: Mrs Bell).
Soirbheas: Ms Macdonald reported that dates were to be arranged for meetings with Community Group representatives for Balnain and Drumnadrochit, possibly 26th May – Grant awards were dependent on evidence of community engagement. The A.G.M. was scheduled for the end of June, and there was a need for more members. (Action: Soirbheas)
Manholes: Community Council to be contacted on the poor state of the manholes and sunken drains on the A82, both on the bridge and the pavement. The absence of the bollards at the chicane at Druimlon was also a major hazard. (Action: Mrs Bell to contact Ms Pam Lucas).
Chamber of Commerce: It was up to the Chamber to arrange a meeting with local groups – a list of these in the Welcome Pack. Discussion of possible Hogmanay celebration could be encouraged. (Action: Chamber of Commerce).
Clock at Victoria Building: A letter of thanks had been sent to Mr Skinner. Mrs Bell to approach staff at the Centre again on the winding of the clock (Action : Mrs Bell)
Seats on Green: Ms Veitch had informed the Association of the good work done by a local team of employees from Scottish Hydro in painting the picnic tables and repairing the original seats on the Green – this to be acknowledged by letter. She would also require fundraising to cover the cost of £730 for the Christmas lamppost decorations which she had arranged. Mr Bell proposed that the Association award £100 to the Flower Forum, stipulating, however, that it be ring fenced for floral displays, and this was agreed. It was also agreed to minute our gratitude for the service of the late Desmond Macmillan towards the appearance of the village. (Action: Mrs Hart/Mrs Bell)
Treasurer’s Report: Mrs Hart submitted the following figures:
CAF Gold AC: £3875.48; Project AC: £90.50
Treasurer’s Ac: £7746.96, (£5655.66 is Playpark Group money) Insurance Premium of £113.22 has also been paid.
1. Amnesty International: Mrs Jackie Knight requested permission to use the Green for an awareness/fundraising event to be arranged during the summer. This was agreed, but Mrs Knight to check on Insurance cover and get back to us (Action: Mrs Bell/Mrs Knight)
2. “Trustees’ Toolkit” Seminar: Ms Macdonald drew attention to this free event to be held at the Thistle Hotel on 26th May at 7.30 p.m.
1. Library: Dr Bardwell had e-mailed concern that in the light of financial cutbacks, we should use or lose this facility. Councillor Davidson was confident that it would be protected being part of the High School, although opening hours might be reduced.
2. 20 mph Zone during School time: Mrs Montague wondered if this could be applied on the A 82 – she had concerns about excessive speeds and vehicles which ignored the pedestrian crossing. Members had doubts if this could be imposed on a trunk road, but Mrs Bell to check with the Community Council. (Action: Mrs Bell)
3. Bridge at the Cover: Councillor Davidson reported that the option of a rope bridge across the River Coiltie was being explored. This was fairly cheap, compared with a high level walkway, which was also being discussed.
4. Hogmanay Event: Ms Macdonald asked that this item be included on the agenda for the September meeting.